Monday, January 20, 2014

Meals Under $10 - Dahl (Yellow Lentils)

Dahl (Yellow Lentils) 
Total Time - Approximately 1.5 hours
Total Cost - Approximately $6
Servings - 6 large servings 

I love lentils! And lately my favorite kind are the yellow lentils. My sister made this for me a year ago, and it was one of those really cold nights, and I wasnt having a good day at all, and I was hungry, and tired, and well you know... just one of those days. I was also traveling, my sister lives in Houston, and this is where she made it for me. 

Anyways, it made me feel so much better. The second I arrived her apartment and smelled the curry in the air, it was so comforting and warm. 

She taught me how she made it, and although it is not really the complete authentic way, it is pretty good! I have made a few adjustments of my own and I am sure you will too!




















CHOP AND SAUTE IN 1 TBSP. OLIVE OIL
2 Celery stalks, chopped $.35
1 carrot, chopped $.25
1 yellow onion, chopped $.50
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. curry
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 jalapeño chopped $.25













ONCE SLIGHTLY BROWNED - ADD
1 bag of yellow lentils and mix $1.50


THEN ADD
5 Cups water - Let cook on medium heat for about 25 minutes

THEN ADD
5 Chopped potatoes (small) $1.50

COOK UNTIL POTATOES AND LENTILS ARE SOFT.

If you would like to have this meal with some rice - I like to cook some Jasmine rice with about 1/2 tsp. cinnamon - it makes for a delicious combination with the curry, one tsp. for 2 cups of rice. 



ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment